Friday, July 16, 2010

Things Dale Said

This project of mine is almost completely for my own amusement it seems, but nevertheless I am somewhat disappointed with myself this week. I must have been tired or just beaten to the ground remembering how very depressing of a spin all of these people and their ideas can take. Neitzsche, although one of my favorite people to read (I, unlike Dale, think his humor is hilarious), is hard to swallow at times, especially reflecting on some of his darker works. Marx I resonate with on a lot of levels except for the fact that everything gets reverted into 'class struggle' which negates a lot of equally if not more important struggles from history. He really burns my muffins, but hey, what can you do? Not many people thought of women as much of anything but the incubator. His contemporaries slowly get better at some of these aspects but being new material for me, and the end of the week, I definitely needed that cup of coffee.

Consequently the quotes I did get verbatim were few and far between, and a lot of them were also dependant on Dale's particular flare (tone, gestures, context, etc.). Last week I had a lot more to pick from so I could post the ones that really made me smile when reading them over. So for those of you who bother to read this, I will make sure to use the break time to "smoke a crack pipe" and try to at least be entertaining. (And remember Dale, mimicry is the sincerest form of flattery). ;)



Last week on Things Dale Said:

[in reference to the title 'Ecce Homo'] " It becomes especially rich, though still not funny."

"Previews of coming attractions, it stays depressing - all the way through."

"'Have I been understood?' Why do you care so much?! If you love something set it FREE!"

"Just keep people talking and they'll die before they commit too many war crimes."

"We must be careful of poets."

[Sorry Joseph, but this was funny]
"That was a joke by the way."
"And like Nietzsche, not funny."

[Resentement] "Oh how terrible. But then there's also this zing!"

"If one's radical politics were committed to material through their argument, then surely it matters far less what that might say on the unsolvable question whether one entity like god would exist or not. Whether or not god exists, or not, there are a lot of existing people that believe he does, or not. And because people believe in an entity they call god, or not, those people behave differently."

"Education. Agitation. Organization."

"A person wearing a wrist watch is a different huma being than a person living in a feudal era that has never heard of wristwatches. We are a different species."

"It's just this ranting and raving and NAZI THIS and NAZI THAT! It's a very unexpected and incendiary argument to read."

[In reference to Marxist idea of 'leisure'] "Haha, yeah I know, really depressing."

"What are you some radical, dark-night individualist or something? Can't have that..."

"Alright, your teacher wants to go home. Disperse! Time for cocktails! Disperse!"





...and like a good student, who am I to question Dale? With advice like that, who is to tell me that's a bad idea?


1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this. Kind of displays the reality of this frustrating class. :D

    ReplyDelete