Monday, July 26, 2010

Question to Mid-Term Post 3

Hi Prof Dale,

I had a question on prompt #3.


Prompt Three:

In his essay “Psychological Notes Upon an Autobiographical Account of a Case of Paranoia,” Freud offers up an interpretation of the autobiography of Dr. Daniel Paul Schreber. Near the conclusion of his reading of Schreber’s story, Freud makes the last of a series of curious claims on a similar theme: “It remains for the future to decide whether there is more delusion in my theory than I should like to admit, or whether there is more truth in Schreber’s delusion than other people are as yet prepared to believe.” How and why does the figure of Schreber seem to pose such a challenge to Freud’s larger effort to portray the project of psychoanalytic interpretation as a scientific practice? Are there other places in the text in which Freud seems to play out this ambivalence to Schreber’s own interpretation of the world and of his own place in it? Why might this matter so much to Freud in the first place?


I was not sure what you were asking for in the second question, "Are there other places in the text in which Freud seems to play out this ambivalence to Schreber's own interpretation of the world and of his own place in it? Could you please clarify what you mean by 'play out this ambivalence to Schreber's own interpretation of the world and of his own place in it?'

sam

3 comments:

  1. In what ways does Freud's ambivalence toward Schreber exhibit itself in the piece as you see it?

    I'm not asking for anything particularly specific, frankly.
    Remember, these are prompts, points of departure; there is no expectation that your essay will necessarily provide direct answers to every aspect or only aspects of the prompt.

    Your job is to make a claim for which you can imagine an intelligent opposition and which you will substantiate through close readings of the text.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dale,

    I don't know what I gave you today . . . apparently I pulled the wrong paper out of my backpack 'cause I'm looking at the correct paper! I'll see you in class tomorrow . . . still you've got yesterday's email attachment.

    ReplyDelete